Thursday, May 7, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy

I haven't posted in a while because life has been BUSY! So here's a summary of what's been happening on the farm ...

Combing Goats
Cashmere is harvested by either combing it out as it sheds or shearing. We choose to comb. It took me about 2 hours per goat to comb out the cashmere and trim their hooves. I got much faster after the first few as I refined my technique. There is still a little bit to do, but most of them are done.

Renovating the Old Store
We have the original county grocery store next to our house. It was basically just a shell - no utilities, sagging foundation, old roof, etc. We've had contractors here for about 3 weeks working to fix it up.

To save a little money, I am the errand girl. Everytime they need materials, I run for them. Not to mention that I need to be on hand to answer questions and make decisions about how we want things done. I'm excited to get it done, but the construction process is a bit disruptive. Fortunately, we have a great contractor.

It will become a woodturning shop for Brett and a fiber studio for me. More details on that later...

Vacation
I took a whirlwind vacation to the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival and to Pennsylvania to visit family and bring our son home from college. It was a great trip but I was exhausted by the time we got home.
The festival was awesome and I bought about a dozen different kinds of wool and fleeces so that I could spin them to learn first-hand the differences between them. I'm not sure how many breeds of sheep there are, but there's got to be at least 50 - all with different wool. I am focusing on those with wool soft enough to wear against the skin.

1 comment:

  1. I left a little something for you on my blog today. Stop by and pick it up!

    ReplyDelete